The 2nd INTRA-ACP GCCA+ Programme Regional Technical Meeting held on 12th and 14th July 2021
As part of its mandate the Intra-ACP GCCA+ Programme contributes to strengthening the capacities of OACPS regions and countries to undertake regional and national adaptation and mitigation actions in response to the challenges caused by the impacts of climate change.
In this context, the Programme held its second Regional Technical Meeting (RTM) virtually on 12th and 14th July 2021, under the Chairmanship of Ms Christelle Pratt, Assistant Secretary General (ASG), Environment and Climate Action (ECA) Department of the OACPS Secretariat.
In addition to representatives of the OACPS Secretariat, over 40 participants from the following regional Organisations took part in the meeting:
- Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA),
- Permanent Interstates Committee for Drought Control in the Sahel (CILSS/Regional Centre Agrhymet),
- Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS),
- Eastern African Community (EAC),
- Expertise France,
- Caribbean Community Climate Change Centre (CCCCC),
- University of the South Pacific (USP),
- Secretariat of the Pacific Regional Environment Programme (SPREP),
- Indian Ocean Commission (IOC),
- IGAD Climate Prediction and Applications Centre (ICPAC),
- Southern African Development Community (SADC).
Furthermore, UNFCCC Negotiators from the African Group of Negotiators (AGN), the Least Developed Countries (LDCs), and the Group G77+ China, as well as representatives from the OACPS Missions and Embassies were also in attendance.
The specific objectives of the meeting were to identify initial key issues for OACPS countries in preparation for COP26; to outline joint advocacy, communication and outreach activities before, at and beyond COP26; and to agree on a possible date for the Special meeting of the Subcommittee on Sustainable Development in preparation for COP26.
The discussion took place on the basis of the draft OACPS Resolution on Climate Action for COP26 approved and endorsed by the 112th session of the OACPS Council of Ministers in early July 2021. It is to be noted that the, OACPS priorities for COP26 include Climate Ambition, Climate Finance, Adaptation, Loss and Damage, Capacity building and technology (link to article detailing out OACPS positions on the various issues).
During these two virtual sessions, regional organisations presented their positions on key issues on the table which are in line with the OACPS Resolution.