COP25 side event: “Technical support to ACP countries for reporting on their updated and revised NDCs : Presentation of the ACP NDC web-based tool”.
“Technical support to ACP countries for reporting on their updated and revised NDCs : Presentation of the ACP NDC web-based tool”.
A side event of the ACP Secretariat, the European Commission (DG CLIMA and DG DEVCO) and potential Regional Partners
A side event of the ACP Secretariat, the European Commission (DG CLIMA and DG DEVCO) and potential Regional Partners was held on Friday 6 December 2019, from 12:30 to 14:00, at the EU Pavilion, in Madrid, Spain.
ACP countries are required under the UNFCCC, to update/revise their NDCs in 2020. In this regard, the existing NDC Platform is being enhanced to include new functionalities in order to support harmonized reporting and comparability of ACP NDCs. This will help ACP countries identify common priorities, needs, difficulties, and gaps in terms of NDC update/revision and implementation.
The main objectives of the side-event were to:
- Present the new features of the ACP NDC web-based tool for feedback and endorsement by ACP regional and other partners. And
- Identify potential partnerships for further supporting the development and practical use of the ACP NDC web-based tool.
MAIN TAKEAWAYS FROM THE SIDE EVENT:
- ACP countries received the tool enthusiastically as well as non-ACP countries and partners such as the Over-Seas Countries and Territories (OCTs) and UNCDF LoCAL;
- A number of pilot countries were identified. These countries committed to working with the Programme and the ACP Secretariat to improve the tool and make it a truly ACP NDC tool: Togo, Benin, Jamaica, SADC countries and LoCAL countries;
- Countries stressed that the tool should be made available for the piloting phase as soon as possible as some countries are already moving towards the reporting phase;
- Haiti, Togo, Jamaica and SADC presented some elements of their forthcoming NDCs;
- SADC coordinated a workshop to touch base on the status of NDC update in countries and prepared a tool to support countries in their reporting on NDCs.
- UNCDF: 14 countries, some of whom belong to the ACP Group of States, are committed to working with the ACP on the piloting.
- Future collaboration with SADC, UNCDF LoCAL and pilot countries to improve and finalize the tool;
- Countries to contact their EU Delegations to ensure priorities of NDCs are included as part of country priorities so as to secure funding;
- Implementation and access to finance are key elements.
- Increased Ambition is key.
Concept Note Side Event ACP NDC_En
Note conceptuelle Side Event ACP NDC_Fr
Madrid Climate Change Conference
COP 25/ CMP 15/ CMA 2
2–13 December 2019